Hello to all of our Through the Word Family, including our Dallas Cowboys fans. Today’s post may be of particular interest to you today.
Finding Meaning While Mourning
When I was on staff at my church, I would regularly get phone calls from people who would explain the difficulties they were facing, and then ask the question, “Why is this happening? I thought as a Christian my life was going to get better!”
The Bible never promises us an easy life on earth. It repeatedly warns us that we will face trials of various kinds. Death. Persecution. Pain. Rejection. And when we face these difficulties, they often lead us into mourning and grief.
We are currently watching as our friends in the United Kingdom are in the middle of a national period of mourning. As England grieves the loss of Queen Elizabeth, it is a good reminder that we live in a world filled with pain and loss. Sin has destroyed the perfect world we live in, and we are still dealing with the consequences today.
But the Bible offers hope in the midst of suffering and grief. One of the greatest truths to this is found in Matthew 5, where Jesus says, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”
Here are some more truths to help you find meaning when mourning:
- God heals the brokenhearted and will bind up our wounds (Psalm 147:3).
- God’s promises give us life, even when mourning (Psalm 119:50).
- God is with us, even when we are near death (Psalm 23:4).
- God will strengthen us in times of fear and dismay (Isaiah 41:10).
- The Spirit of God intercedes to the Father for us, even when we can’t find the words to pray (Romans 8:26-28).
- One day, all pain and sorrow will be taken away, and we will be filled with joy (Revelation 21:4)
- We can know that God can use our pain and mourning to accomplish good (Romans 8:28).
- We can trust in Jesus, who has overcome the evil and wickedness of the world (John 16:33).
- We can comfort others when they are in pain, with the comfort we received from Christ and others (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).
As you journey through the Bible, Through the Word is here to help you understand it. With audio guides explaining each chapter of the Bible in less than 10 minutes a day, we want you to grow in your understanding of scripture, whether it is book by book, or topic by topic. Here are a number of Audio Guides (all available on the app) that we recommend you listen to if you want to know more about finding meaning when mourning.
- 2 Samuel 1–David mourns for Saul and Jonathan
- Nehemiah 9–Where mourning sin leads to a revival
- Ecclesiastes 7–It is wise to go through Mourning
- Amos 8–A call for the full nation to mourn
- Mark 5–Trusting in Christ through difficult times
- John 11–The resurrection of Lazarus